Pilot Officer - Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves - 236 Squadron - Service No. 170407
William Arthur Lynch was born on 5th April 1922 in Gravesend, Kent. His father was William Matthew Lynch, a Bus Driver (who died in 1938), and his mother was Marjorie (née Hobbs). The first school that he attended was St John’s Roman Catholic School in Gravesend.
In 1933 William Lynch joined The County School for Boys – now known as Gravesend Grammar School. The Head Master at that time was the Reverend Samuel Lister. The County School for Boys was located in Darnley Road, Gravesend close to the Railway Station (now the Victoria Centre for Education). In 1938 the School moved to brand new premises in Church Walk, Milton, Gravesend opposite to Milton Church.
The School’s Admission Register lists William’s address as 24 Mead Road, Gravesend. Whilst at the School, William was in Downs House. One older brother and one younger brother also attended the School, Peter (born 1920) and Michael (born 1927). In World War Two Peter was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal.
In 1938 William left the School and started work in the Borough Treasurer’s Office. He volunteered for the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves in 1941. After training in Canada, he joined 236 Squadron as a Pilot Officer, Service Number 170407.
236 Squadron served with Coastal Command, forming part of the North Coates strike wing from November 1942. The Squadron was mainly on anti-shipping duties. William Lynch was killed in action on 28th January 1944, age 21. He is remembered at the Runnymede Memorial.
There are links below to Newspaper Clippings and Photographs from the Gravesend Grammar School Archives.
Below are links to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and a few other websites that might be of interest: