Sapper - Royal Engineers, Signal Company, 11th Division - Regt. No. 75380
Norman Allan Rose was born in Higham on 24 January 1897 to George Rose (born 1866 in Shorne) and Annie Elizabeth (born 1867 in Gravesend). In the 1901 Census Norman is listed as living at 2 Frances Cottages, Forge Lane, Higham with his parents and 4 siblings – 2 brothers, Hubert George (born 1894) and Charles John (born 1900), and 2 sisters, Muriel (1895) and Doris Ethel (born 1899). Norman’s father is listed as a Miller. Before the 1911 Census another 3 siblings had been born – Cecil Francis (1902), Leonard (07/11/1906) and Ruby Florence (1909)
The first school that Norman attended was the Higham National School. He continued his education at The Gravesend County Day School (now Gravesend Grammar School) from 1910-13. The County Day School had been originally opened in 1893 as a school of science and art, located in Darnley Street close to Gravesend Railway Station. (With the move of Gravesend Grammar School in 1938 to its present site in Milton Road, the original school building is now the Victoria Centre for Adult Education). Brother Leonard also attended the School from 1917. By the time that Norman and Leonard attended the School, the 1902 Education Act had been passed and the school had become a recognised Secondary School. Although still a fee-paying school, there were scholarships available, however it is unknown as to whether Norman and his brother were scholarship pupils. The Headmaster at the time was H F A Wigley, BA, FCS. The family address according to the School Admissions Register in 1910 was 1 Avondale Villas, Forge Lane, Higham.
By the time of the 1911 Census, Norman’s brother Hubert was living with his grandfather, John Rose and his uncle, Charles Rose at Higham Mill, known locally as Rose’s Mill. This was a family business run by Charles and George Rose after the retirement of their father, John. The business also employed 2 other assistants. Norman and family were still living at 1 Avondale Villas. When he left the School in 1913 he was appointed as a Learner Postman, working in Gravesend. After 9 months he was transferred to Erith, returning 6 months later to Gravesend Post Office. His address is given as 40 Arthur Street, Gravesend.
After the outbreak of World War One, Norman enlisted at Woolwich as a Sapper in the Royal Engineers, 11th Division, Signal Company serving as a Telegraphist, Regiment No. 175380. After training he arrived in Egypt on 21 August 1915 and less than a month later he was killed in action in the Dardanelles on 12 September 1915, age 18.
Norman Allan Rose is buried at Azmak Cemetrey, Suvla, Gallipoli,Turkey – Burial plot 1G 22. He is also remembered on a memorial plaque at Gravesend Delivery Office, together with 8 other employees.
Brother Charles John Rose served as a Private with the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), 17th Battalion, Regiment No. G/79005. He died of gas poisoning on 18 September 1918, age 18, after only serving in France for 6 weeks. Charles is buried at St Hilaire Cemetery Extension, Frevent, Pas de Calais. Higham (Rose’s) Mill, built originally in 1760, was badly damaged by a storm in 1920, and after another big storm, was pulled sown in 1921.