Signalman - Royal Corps of Signals - Service No. 7663087
Bertie Frederick Ernest Kemp was born on 10th November 1919 in Greenwich. His father was Bertie Hodge Kemp, a Clerk, and his mother was Lillian Annie (née Borsberry). The first school that he attended was Dover Road School in Gravesend.
In 1930 Bertie Kemp joined The County School for Boys – now known as Gravesend Grammar School. The Head Master at that time was the Reverend Samuel Lister. The County School for Boys was located in Darnley Road, Gravesend close to the Railway Station (now the Victoria Centre for Education). In 1938 the School moved to brand new premises in Church Walk, Milton, Gravesend opposite to Milton Church.
The School’s Admission Register lists Bertie’s address as 103 Park Avenue, Northfleet, Gravesend. Whilst at the School, Bertie was in Cliff House. Younger brother Stanley (born 1921) also attended the School.
In 1936 Bertie left the School and became a Clerk for the Port of London Authority and studied for a BSc at the City of London College. He enlisted on the 17th January 1940 in the Royal Corps of Signals, as a Signalman, Service Number 7663087. He was fluent in Italian.
The Royal Corps of Signals were sent to Italy, working their way up the country through hard fought battles as the Germans slowly retreated. Bertie Kemp died on the 31st May 1944, age 24. He is remembered at the Cassino War Cemetery, Italy.
Three other students from the same Form as Bertie Kemp were killed in action during World War Two, Barry Jarvis, Victor Phillips and Roy Robinson.
There are links below to Newspaper Clippings and Photographs from the Gravesend Grammar School Archives.
Below are links to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and a few other websites that might be of interest: