Leading Aircraftman - Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves - 15 Service Flying Training School - Service No. 1152529
Douglas Gordon Comyn was born on 5th May 1920 in Maidstone, Kent. His father was Malcolm John Comyn, a Trinity House River Pilot, and his mother was Norah Ethel (née Thwaites). The previous school that he attended was Kings School, Rochester.
In 1934 Douglas Comyn joined The County School for Boys – now known as Gravesend Grammar School. The Head Master at that time was the Reverend Samuel Lister. The County School for Boys was located in Darnley Road, Gravesend close to the Railway Station. In 1938 the School moved to brand new premises in Church Walk, Milton, Gravesend opposite to Milton Church.
The School’s Admission Register lists Douglas’ home address as 41 Pelham Road, Gravesend. Whilst at the School, Douglas was in Hill House, he gained Full Colours in both Rugby; he played for the 2nd XV Rugby team, and Cricket, playing for the Cricket 1st XI; coming top of the batting averages and 2nd in the bowling averages in 1937, when he left the School. Older brothers John (born 1917) and Charles Geoffrey (born 1919) also attended the school. John at the same time as Douglas. During World War Two, John was a Captain in the Royal Artillery and Charles Geoffrey a Private in the Royal Engineers.
Douglas enlisted in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves in World War Two, becoming a Leading Aircraftman, Service Number 1152529. He was flying from RAF Kidlington, Oxfordshire, which was home to the 15 Service Flying Training School – an advanced flying unit training base and Glider school – when he was killed with his co-pilot in an accident.
Douglas Comyn died on 17th January 1941 age 20. He is buried at Kidlington Burial Ground, Oxfordshire Sec. B. Grave 1.
There are links below to Newspaper Clippings and Photographs from the Gravesend Grammar School Archives.
Also links to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and a few other websites that might be of interest: