Sergeant - Royal Army Service Corps - Service No. T/146868
Leonard Charles Wilson was born on 9th October 1917 in West Ham, London. His father was Charles G Wilson, a Preventative Officer with HM Customs, and his mother was Maud A (née Cubitt). The previous school that he attended was the County School for Boys in Dover.
In 1928 Leonard Wilson joined The County School for Boys – now known as Gravesend Grammar School. The Head Master at that time was the Reverend Samuel Lister. The County School for Boys was located in Darnley Road, Gravesend close to the Railway Station (now the Victoria Centre for Education). In 1938 the School moved to brand new premises in Church Walk, Milton, Gravesend opposite to Milton Church.
The School’s Admission Register lists Leonard’s address as St Kilda, 5 Ridgeway Avenue, Gravesend. Whilst at the School, Leonard was in Downs House.
In 1933 Leonard left the School and started work for Montague Burton as a Tailoring Salesman. In 1939, he married Christina Thompson.
In World War Two he enlisted in the Royal Army Service Corps, Service Number T/146868. Leonard served in Palestine after the World War Two as a Sergeant, still in the Royal Army Service Corps. Leonard Wilson died on 4th October 1945, age 27. He was buried at Khayat War Cemetery, Israel.
Leonard Wilson was in the same Form as William Lunn, who was also Killed in Action in World War Two.
There are links below to Newspaper Clippings and Photographs from the Gravesend Grammar School Archives.
Below are links to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and a few other websites that might be of interest: